Friday, May 10, 2013

Yo Yo Garland

One of my Blythe friends, Susan M., send me a wonderful fabric pack of charm squares, and I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do with it:  make a yo yo garland for my Blythe doll house!


Where did I get such a fabulous idea, you ask?  From Mollie Makes, one of my favorite crafty magazines! I love the magazine, and I love the name.  (Hmmm...maybe I should rename this blog Leslie Makes...)


I cut the fabrics into 3" circles, then sewed under a small hem and pulled the thread tight to make each yo yo. Then I lined them up on my kitchen table and, working a few at a time, I applied two drops of Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue to the back of each circle.  I cut a long piece of baker's twine and pressed it into the glue to finish the garland.  It was dry and ready to hang in about an hour.

I have one tip that I want to share with you:  DON'T apply the glue in the center of each yo yo like I did, because then  the garland won't hang flat against the wall.  I learned that too late!  Instead, put the glue about 1/3 of the way down from the top of each circle, and you won't have to resort to tape on the back of your yo yo's to make them hang flat.


My finished garland is so pretty!  I love the colors in this package of fabrics!


Here's where I put it. This is the newest room in my dollhouse bookcase, and it was looking pretty bare and boring. It isn't finished yet, but this garland has made a big difference in the feel of the room.



Yo yo's aren't just for dolls, you know; you could easily make a garland of larger yo yo's to accent some part of your home.  They would look cute over a doorway or mantle. If you use yo yo's in your house, I would love to hear about it!

3 comments:

Kay said...

This is a great idea, and so effective. It also makes a change from the bunting that is everywhere in craft land right now.

Susan M. said...

That came out great, Leslie! I am so glad you were able to put the squares to such good use!

voyance said...

Awesome And Amazing information that I heard first time,Its very shocking and amazing for me,I am very fond of reading such type of informations those I had never heard before and those having daily life things related searches.